Home Energy Efficiency Makeover FAQs
Home Energy Efficiency Makeover FAQs
What is the Cobb EMC Home Energy Efficiency Makeover?
The Cobb EMC Home Energy Efficiency Makeover encourages the community to nominate their neighbors whose homes are in need of energy efficiency improvements. Cobb EMC will partner with the Cobb Heating and Air Association, Gas South and the Cobb County Water System to give one member a home energy efficiency makeover. The makeover shines a light on energy efficiency to show our members that energy improvement projects can lower energy consumption.
What energy efficiency measures will the winner receive?
Possible makeover measures include, but are not limited to, two years of free natural gas courtesy of Gas South, HVAC and/or water heater replacement, attic insulation, duct sealing, caulking and weather stripping, smart thermostat and ENERGY STAR® appliances along with new low-flow faucet adapters, showerheads and toilets from the Cobb County Water System. Cobb EMC’s makeover team will implement an energy audit to determine needs and select the best measures to assist the winner.
Who is eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover?
- Cobb EMC members age 18 or older who own a home
- The home must be:
- A primary residence served by Cobb EMC
- A single family dwelling
- Built in or before 1995
- A person whose home is in need of energy efficiency measures but financially cannot afford them
- Employees and immediate family members (parent, child, sibling, spouse or a person living in the same household) of Cobb EMC, the Cobb Heating and Air Conditioning Association and Gas South are not eligible for the program. See official program rules.
To be eligible, does Gas South have to be the homeowner's gas provider?
Gas South is not required to be your gas provider; however, you must own and occupy as a primary residence a home located on land owned by you within the Cobb EMC service area, and on the Atlanta Gas Light Company pipeline system with natural gas service at your residence.
How do I nominate someone for the makeover?
The steps for nominating a member for the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover are listed here.
How will the winner be selected?
- The selection committee will narrow down the list to three finalists.
- Cobb EMC’s energy audit team and the program representative will visit three finalists’ homes, assess the need for energy efficient measures and prepare a report.
- The selection committee will review the energy audit team’s report and select the winner.
- Home Energy Efficiency Makeover work will be completed during the second quarter of 2019.
Who is responsible for applicable taxes and warranties?
Winners will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes on prizes. Winners will receive an IRS Form 1099 for the retail value of the prize.
What are the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover deadlines and dates?
- Nominations will open November 1, 2018 at 7 a.m.
- Nominations will close January 18, 2019 at 5 p.m.
What are the rules and regulations?
View the program rules.
Who is going to complete the makeover work?
- The Cobb Heating and Air Conditioning Association will oversee the energy efficient improvements.
- Cobb EMC will manage the ENERGY STAR® appliances.
- Gas South will provide two years of free natural gas service.
- Cobb County Water System will provide low-flow faucet adapters, showerheads and toilets.
See official program rules.
Can I nominate myself for the makeover?
How will the winner be notified?
The selection committee will contact the winner with the good news by phone or email.
Can I receive the cash value of the makeover?
No substitution of prizes is offered and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value.
Who serves on the selection committee?
Have a question or just want to chat with a Cobb EMC member care representative?