Home Energy Efficiency Makeover FAQs
Home Energy Efficiency Makeover FAQs
What is the Cobb EMC Home Energy Efficiency Makeover?
The Cobb EMC Home Energy Efficiency Makeover encourages the community to nominate their neighbors whose homes are in need of energy efficiency improvements. Cobb EMC will partner with the Cobb Heating and Air Association and Gas South to give one deserving member a home energy efficiency makeover. The shines a light on energy efficiency to show our members that energy improvement projects can lower energy consumption.
What energy efficiency measures will the winner receive?
Possible makeover measures include, but are not limited to, two years of free natural gas courtesy of Gas South, HVAC and/or water heater replacement, attic insulation, duct sealing, caulking and weather stripping, smart thermostat and ENERGY STAR® appliances. Cobb EMC’s makeover team will implement an energy audit to determine needs and select the best measures to assist the winner.
Who is eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover?
- Cobb EMC members age 18 or older who own a home
- The home must be:
- A primary residence served by Cobb EMC
- A single family dwelling
- Built in or before 1995
- A person whose home is in need of energy efficiency measures but financially cannot afford them
- Employees and immediate family members (parent, child, sibling, spouse or a person living in the same household) of Cobb EMC, the Cobb Heating and Air Conditioning Association and Gas South are not eligible for the program. See official program rules.
To be eligible, does Gas South have to be the homeowner's gas provider?
The homeowner is not required to have Gas South as their natural gas provider. However, they must own and occupy as a primary residence a home that is:
- Located within Cobb EMC's service district
- On the Atlanta Gas Light Company pipeline system with natural gas service at their residence
How do I nominate someone for the makeover?
Anyone can nominate a Cobb EMC member for the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover. This is a need-based selection process for Cobb EMC members only, who live in single family dwelling, which was built in or before 1995.
- Two forms must be completed and sent to Cobb EMC marketing:
- Nominator application: Nominator must obtain permission from the nominee and have the nominee fill out the application form before submitting the nomination request.
- Nominee application: This will give Cobb EMC information regarding the member’s need.
- Download the nominator application and the nominee application and submit completed forms to Cobb EMC via:
- Mail: Attn: Cobb EMC Marketing Department, P.O. Box 369 Marietta, GA 30061
- Fax: Attn: Cobb EMC Marketing Department, 770-429-2130
- Email: email@example.com
- You can also contact the Cobb EMC marketing department at 770-429-2111 or via email to obtain a copy of the forms.
- Cobb EMC will verify if the nominee is an active member and the home is served by Cobb EMC.
- Deadlines for the 2017 Home Energy Efficiency Makeover have passed. Please check back to nominate someone in 2018.
How will the winner be selected?
- The selection committee will narrow down the list to three finalists.
- Cobb EMC’s energy audit team and the program representative will visit three finalists’ homes, assess the need for energy efficient measures and prepare a report.
- The selection committee will review the energy audit team’s report and select the winner.
- Home Energy Efficiency Makeover work will be completed during the second quarter of 2017.
Who is responsible for applicable taxes and warranties?
Winners will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes on prizes. Winners will receive an IRS Form 1099 for the retail value of the prize.
Cobb EMC does not make representations or extend any warranty for such upgrades or changes.
What are the Home Energy Efficiency Makeover deadlines and dates?
- Nominations will open November 1, 2016 at 7 a.m.
- Nominations will close January 15, 2017 at 12 a.m.
- The 2017 Home Energy Efficiency Makeover deadlines have passed. Check back for 2018 makeover dates.
What are the rules and regulations?
View rules and regulations.
Who is going to complete the makeover work?
- The Cobb Heating and Air Conditioning Association will oversee the energy efficient improvements.
- Cobb EMC will manage the ENERGY STAR® appliances.
- Gas South will provide two years of free natural gas service.
See official rules and regulations.
Can I nominate myself for the makeover?
Yes. Deadlines for the 2017 Home Energy Efficiency Makeover have passed. Check back for 2018 dates.
How will the winner be notified?
The selection committee will contact the winner with the good news via phone or email!
Can I receive the cash value of the makeover?
No substitution of prizes is offered and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value.
Who serves on the selection committee?
Have a question or just want to chat with a Cobb EMC member care representative?