Skip to main navigation.

Home Safety

Home Safety


Indoor Safety
  • Don’t use electrical appliances around wet areas like bathtubs or sinks.
  • Dry your hands before using electrical appliances.
  • Keep electric heaters on level surfaces and 6-8 feet from furniture, curtains and drapes.


  • Use childproof covers for outlets.
  • Only insert electrical plugs into outlets.
  • Inspect electrical/extension cords for wear and tear.
  • Flickering lights, unusual smells and power interruptions could be signs that there is a problem – check all appliances and panels. 
  • The third prong on extension cords is a safety feature designed to reduce the risk of electrocution or shock and should never be bent back or removed.


Home Generators
  • Improperly installed emergency power generators can expose your family to carbon monoxide poisoning and our crews to severe injury – or even death. For more information, contact Cobb EMC's Electrical Engineering team at (770) 429-2100.
  • Operate generators outdoors and away from open windows, vents or doors to eliminate exposure to hazardous fumes.
  • Store gasoline and other flammable liquids outside and away from heat and electrical sources.
  • Never refuel while the generator is running. To minimize the danger of fire, turn it off and let it cool at least 10 minutes.

  • Install carbon monoxide alarms with battery backup in the home, outside each sleeping area.


  • Although transformer boxes located in the yards of many homes are safe, they can be deadly if someone reaches inside. If you find a transformer box open or damaged, call Cobb EMC immediately at 678-355-3490.
  • Never climb on or near transformer boxes.
  • When planting trees or shrubs, maintain 10 feet of clearance from the front of the transformer and three feet on all other sides to allow Cobb EMC access. Maintaining clearance also keeps roots from interfering with underground lines running to the transformer.


  • Know what’s below by calling 811 before you dig, so you don’t run into underground lines or transformers.
  • Look above for power lines and be mindful when using ladders, pool skimmers and other tall objects.
  • Stay at least 10 feet from power lines connected to or near your home.
  • Never trim trees or bushes near power lines. We have professionals to safely and expertly handle this task.
  • Do not use indoor extension cords while performing outdoor work. Only use those rated for outside use.
  • Do not use electric equipment or yard tools if it is raining or the ground is wet. Electric equipment should be kept at least 10 feet from wet areas.
  • Ensure that your outdoor outlets are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. If they are not, have them installed or use a portable GFCI.


Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are difficult to detect. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous gas.

  • Have chimneys, heating vents and furnaces professionally cleaned and maintained.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home.


Natural Gas Safety Tips
  • If you smell natural gas – leave your home immediately and call your gas provider from another location. Do not use your cell phone! Arcing or sparks could ignite gases.
  • Don’t store cleaning supplies, paint or chemicals near natural gas appliances, such as water heaters, dryers, stoves or furnaces. 


  • Have a licensed, qualified heating technician maintain your furnace or heating system. 
  • Change heating system filters to keep air passing through. 
  • Replace batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.  


Source: Safe Electricity


Advanced Metering Infrastructure TwitterFacebookKids Energy ZoneEnergy Audit



Gas South
linemen, truck
Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Co-op Connections Card Gas South District Map